Friday, 21 August 2026

#86

#86. Drake - Passionfruit (#35, 2017)

11th of 2017

Listen

One of the more mundane coincidences I've come across relates to Australian soft drinks. When you think of passionfruit drinks, the two that come to mind are Asahi's Passiona, and Kirk's Pasito. In a very quick space of time in early 2017, we managed to have two notable songs that recalled them to mind. The Smith Street Band's "Passiona" (#366) of course, and who could leave out "Despacito", which is of course French for 'Some Pasito' [citation needed]. Also at the very same time, Drake joined in with "Passionfruit", and these were the only three songs I could ever think of that managed to fit this idea, until The Rions had their own "Passionfruit" many years later.


If you're reading this post as it came out, you might be aware that Drake recently released 3 albums on the same day. If you're reading this further in the future, it's not too late, but who even knows what gimmicks he's resorted to since then. It's been a peculiar thing to witness, as I've watched the general perception of Drake change over the years. Maybe it all happened the moment he first had a #1 single and he was no longer the curious underdog to root for, and became the very establishment propped up solely on pure hubris and persistence. It was something that became very clear around when he released "For All The Dogs" in 2023. I just remember seeing a comment that was dismissive of the potential sales on Drake's album when physical formats were released, as it's hard to imagine someone spending actual money for a CD or vinyl over just streaming the latest disposable offering. I almost didn't question it but then I remembered back in the early 2010s, how different things were back then.


In a time when many artists were having trouble with that aspect of fandom, Drake was a glaring exception. It was mainly just in the US, but suffice to say, he was an absolute monster in terms of getting fans to buy his albums. His first four albums coincided with his own growing popularity and a slide in pure sales across the board, but it was he who was actually winning that battle. He'd consistently sell close to half a million copies in his first week, peaking with "Views" in 2016 which managed over 850,000 sales to go with record breaking streaming numbers. Almost nobody but Adele or Taylor Swift was doing Drake numbers. This is evidently not the case anymore. Drake is still a very bankable star, obviously, but that album-buying audience he once had has all but disappeared. Most recently, "ICEMAN" managed just 13,000 pure sales in its first week in America, and that was the big one of the three. Just a decade ago, Drake nearly moved half a million digital sales in a week with a barely announced mixtape.


You can make a lot of brash judgements on this. I do think the easiest is just to say that Drake eventually neglected the artistry of the album format. He's become one of the more infamous artists of late whose every action with regard to his discography seems to preference keeping the ship running with excess, rather than quality control. There's a need to seemingly always have something out around the corner, and to buff the streaming numbers by making as many songs as possible. It's begrudgingly working, but it feels like the disappearance of a once vital performance metric for Drake in pure sales has been the cost of doing business this way. You can't expect your fans to value your art if you treat it so frivolously.


My gut feeling is that this all set in when Drake released "More Life" in 2017. This was just under a year after he'd released his 20 track album "Views". "More Life" had 22 tracks, and then just a year later came "Scorpion" with 25 tracks. I hate to reference the TERF wizard franchise but I just can't not think of Harry Potter's cousin Dudley lamenting getting one less birthday present than last year and getting his parents to cave and buy two more presents when they go out. That feels like the mindset Drake is satiating, the idea that to slow down, is to signal to shareholders that it's all downhill from here. The aspect that I've left out here is that Drake marketed "More Life" as a playlist, as opposed to a mixtape. It feels like an attempt to modernise the nomenclature to something a younger generation is more familiar with, but you can't help but be cynical about just how banal it comes across. It changes the dynamic from 'Here's a fun sequence of songs I put together' into 'Here are some songs, do what you want with it'. I'll also admit that when it comes to his sheer excess of productivity, the line between studio album Drake & mixtape Drake has never felt less clear to me.


I'll be fair though. Regardless of how I might feel about where Drake's output has been heading lately, I didn't feel quite as uninterested back in 2017. I thought there was some potential in this project, and by all accounts, it had its moments. I have to give big props to "Get It Together", for introducing me to Black Coffee and also giving Jorja Smith a starring role. The two of them provide good balance so it's not just 4 straight minutes of Drake, in a way that seems increasingly common. His later Hottest 100 hits, "Rich Baby Daddy" and "NOKIA" feel more like bops that Drake happens to be on, rather than Drake songs in their entirety. Alongside this, "Passionfruit" is just a really good song too.


It's a song that's surprised me a little lately by just how well it's endured. Certainly it was a popular song in its time, but if any Drake songs are going to fade into the background after they have their moment, it's gonna be the more unassuming ones that aren't attached to a major project. It was a little hard to get a read on "Passionfruit" at the time because a lot of its momentum could just be owed by being the 'single' from the latest Drake project, but also being one that didn't feel entirely tuned to be a pop hit. "Passionfruit" is 5 minutes long. It takes about a minute to get going and then it resets itself. Drake's first verse starts at the 1:16 mark, and his last chorus ends at 3:46, meaning it's really a two and a half minute Drake song that's been stretched to double time. Unless you want to shut out other artists by being a time thief, there's no commercial benefit to making the song this long.


For that, I think Drake is just lucky that he landed on a brilliant instrumental. It's a very simple loop that doesn't really change much for the whole song, but in this simplicity, it just manages to land on something incredibly soothing. Sometimes he'll land a bullseye, but I often think much of Drake's negative perception of late is on how often he tries to make much harder raps that can't invite as many people in. "Passionfruit" is a big invitation for all the non-Drake fans and continues to be one of his absolute most popular songs to this day. As I write this, aside from tracks on his new albums, only "One Dance" (#796) is outstreaming "Passionfruit" daily on Spotify, so it's become an unexpected but welcome classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment