#88. BENEE - Find an Island (#25, 2019)
7th of 2019
I am once again presenting myself with a serious challenge which is to find a bunch of things to write about an artist whose career was very much in its infancy when they notched up multiple entries that all happened so quickly that there's not much in the way of unique stories here. That's right, I've got 3 consecutive singles from before BENEE even had an album out that all share the same producer and don't sound dissimilar. What a prospect.
Well, I suppose if nothing else, "Find an Island" is relatively noteworthy because it's technically BENEE's breakthrough single, the first to chart in Australia. That comes with some big asterisks, but then arguably the more realistic outcome also did, but much like how I said it's weird CHVRCHES got their first Hottest 100 entry with "Lies" (#91), it's weird here too in a different way. This feels like BENEE just trucking along, although I suppose if not for late virality on the part of "Glitter" (#737), then this could easily have wound up as her highest Hottest 100 entry of her career, so maybe I do have to consider it more closely.
I'll probably have more to say about the general vibe of BENEE's music and what it represents specifically for me in the future. I tend to enjoy introspective music which lets you into the head of the artist, and it's something I find she's generally quite good at. "Find an Island" is a slight change of pace as the song is directed outward. Instead of direct feelings, we're instead gleaming from this by her choice of words and tone. "Find an Island" could easily be a break-up song, but instead it's just a petty argument BENEE was having with her guitarist, turning into the logical extreme of asking them to get as far away as possible. By all accounts, I think she knows it's a bit silly and that's why it's expressed in this way. I am fond of committing to the bit, starting to talk about rafts and a search party. I wonder if BENEE has also seen Lost.
Up to this point in her career, it's probably her most openly upbeat song. I get the feeling that she was generally using a slight veil of darkness to shyly come into the world of music and not try to be too boisterous, so this might just be her getting more comfortable about it all. The production is a key part of this as it manages to suit the generally bouncy lyrics with some silliness as well. That one little cowbell is the signal not to take it too seriously, but also works as a solid transition. Sometimes it takes a lot of effort to sound so effortless.

No comments:
Post a Comment